I’ve selected five of my favorite ideas for creating a lasting tribute at a class reunion to classmates you’ve loved and lost.
1. Create a Poster with the Yearbook Photos of the Departed
The Memorial poster can be displayed in many ways:
• On an easel atop a small table in the reception area next to a small bouquet of flowers and/or a candle.
• Drape a string of flowers around the edges of the posters.
• Have a card for each deceased classmate where attendees can write their special memories of the departed. After the reunion send the remarks to the classmate’s family .
2. Have a Candle Lighting Ceremony
Distribute candles and lighters to classmates. Dim the lights in the room. On the candle the name of the departed is written. When that person’s name is read the candle is lit. When all of the names have been read and all the candles lit, the lights can be turned off in the room. A song such as “Amazing Grace” or a poem or verse can be read. Consider taking photos and sending them to the families of the departed.
3. Create a Memory Tree
• Copy yearbook photos onto tags.
• In a frame you can list the names of the departed
• Light votive candles around the memorial tree
4. Write Memories on “My Special Memory of You” cards, give to family
Have classmates write their special memory of the departed. They can write the name of the departed on the top of the card and sign it. After the reunion, the cards can be given to the family of the departed. They are available for purchase here: Memorial gifts and cards
5. Give each Classmate a Plantable Bookmark, Forget-Me-Not Flowers will Grow in their Memory
• List each of the departed on the butterfly bookmark.
• When the butterfly is planted, forget-me-not flowers will grow in their memory
• The bookmark can still be used, and each time they see it, they will remember their classmates.
For more helpful memorial ideas click here.